IPL 2023: The Chennai Super Kings (CSK), have begun preparing for IPL 2023. Stephen Fleming, the team’s head coach, and Mahendra Singh Dhoni (MS Dhoni), the captain of Chennai Super Kings have requested that a special camp be set up at the Chepauk Stadium for them. CSK decided to host a special training camp at Chepauk Stadium, where both bowlers and batsmen face different challenges. Although the exact dates are not yet set, they will likely be held in February or March.
After a 3 year gap, the Chennai Super Kings will be returning to their home ground. CSK management has invited players to Chennai to learn about the city and organize a camp. The camp will be open to domestic players. However, international stars will also be invited.
SportsKia was informed by a CSK official that the dates were not set but that a two-week-to-one-month camp would be held in Chennai in February or March. Stephen and MS want the players adjust to Chennai’s conditions. Everybody knows that the Chennai wicket is different and the atmosphere in Chennai presents a challenge.
The camp will cover various aspects of the game. The camp will focus on being prepared for the Chepauk pitch’s challenges. The coach will brief the players on how they move in the nets.
The Ranji Trophy will decide the dates. Some domestic players might not be able due to domestic matches. However, some overseas players may be able to attend according to their busy schedules.
CSK Captaincy: However, CSK has not made any public statements about its succession. CSK has given MS Dhoni the task of choosing his successor, despite Ben Stokes being the frontrunner. Dhoni will be saying goodbye to his playing career after IPL 2023. Ruturaj Gaikwad, the CSK team manager, is the only person in the race. He is also a long-term option.
SportsKia was told by a CSK official that Stokes is a great player. He is not only a match-winner but also a great leader. MS will decide who he will see as his successor. IPL has a problem with foreign players. All-rounders can be difficult to manage. Yuva cannot rule out Ruturaj if Ben doesn’t receive the NOC next season.
Why is Ruturaj Gaikwad an option for CSK?
- Ruturaj Gaikwad is a long term option for CSK despite his young age.
- He has already led Maharashtra in the domestic circuit.
- He is also learning from the likes of Stephen Fleming, Dwayne Bravo and Faf du Plessis apart from the legendary MS Dhoni.
- With time, CSK is eyeing Ruturaj as the future captain.
- At the moment though, Ben Stokes is at the forefront with vast experience and natural leadership qualities.
- CSK bought Stokes for Rs 16.25 crore.
- But CSK has two problems with Ben Stokes. One is that he is an overseas player and the other is that he is an all-rounder.
- Ben Stokes is likely to get a conditional NOC if he does not bowl in every match.
- Hence, CSK will have to field him as an overseas batsman for most of the matches.
- Ajinkya Rahane is also another option, but he is not a guarantee in CSK’s playing XI.
- With Ruturaj, CSK would not have all these issues.
CSK squad for IPL 2023
MS Dhoni, Ravindra Jadeja, Devon Conway, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Ambati Rayudu, Subhranshu Senapati, Moeen Ali, Shivam Dube, Rajwardhan Hangergekar, Dwayne Pretorius, Mitchell Santner, Deepak Chahar, Tushar Deshpande, Mukesh Chowdhary, Matisha Pathirana, Simarjeet Singh, Prashant Solanki , Mahesh Thekshana, Ajinkya Rahane, Ben Stokes, Shaik Rashid, Nishant Sindhu, Kyle Jamieson, Ajay Mondal, Bhagat Verma
Players Bought in 2023 auction
Ajinkya Rahane (Rs 50 lakh), Ben Stokes (Rs 16.25 crore), Shaik Rashid (Rs 20 lakh), Nishant Sindhu (Rs 60 lakh), Kyle Jamieson (Rs 1 crore), Ajay Mondal (Rs 20 lakh), Bhagat Verma (Rs. 20 lakhs).
Keep visiting sportskia.com to read news related to cricket and other sports.